Free Consultation (425) 533-2156

Marijuana Charges in Washington State

Marijuana Related Charges

It is important to understand that the Washington State “legalization” of Marijuana is NOT absolute. Adults 21 years or older may possess up to "one ounce of useable marijuana", 16 ounces of marijuana-infused product in solid form, 72 ounces of marijuana-infused product in liquid form or "any combination" of all three. This means that there are still a number of marijuana related crimes that you can be charged with in Washington State. These crimes include:

  • Possession of Marijuana – Under 21 years of age.
  • Possession of Marijuana – Over 1 ounce.
  • Federal Marijuana charges

If you find yourself charged with a marijuana related crime it is important to seek the advice of an experienced drug crimes lawyer. Laws in Washington State surrounding marijuana crimes are changing rapidly, many times the police do not understand what is legal. If you are charged with a marijuana related crime call for a free case evaluation (425) 462-2081, we will ensure that the police complied with the law, and ensure your rights are protected.

Drug Related Charges

Washington State has some of the strictest drug laws in the nation, even for a first offense. Consequences can include jail time, seizure of your property or vehicle and difficulty finding housing or employment. Additionally, if there was a weapon involved in the arrest you may be facing prison.

Washington State drug related offenses include:

  • Possession of controlled substance.
  • Manufacture or Delivery of a controlled substance.
  • Possession with intent to deliver.

Challenge the credibility of Police and Snitch's

Many drug cases hinge on the testimony of undercover police officers and snitches. Police officers generally use people that have been charged with a drug related crime to gather evidence for police and “snitch” on you. These police officers may coach the informant in what to say and what evidence to bring them.

These informants are generally facing prison, and will do anything to satisfy police. The motivation of an informant is always relevant. Additionally, many informants disappear before the court date. Informants with questionable motivation, criminal records and fear of jail time are notoriously untrustworthy. Jury's don't trust them and we don't either. If you are charged with a drug related crime it is important to have a drug crime attorney that isn't afraid to question the motivations of police and informants.

Washington State Alternative Sentencing

Washington State provides non-violent drug offenders with alternatives to prosecution and jail, including Drug Court and DOSA (Drug Offender Sentencing Alternative). An experienced attorney can get you treatment alternatives instead of a long prison term, but only if they know about DOSA and how to get it.

An experienced attorney can work with the prosecution to convince them that jail or prison is not the correct approach for your case. Addiction may be at the root of the reason from your involvement with drugs. If addiction is the cause of your involvement with the criminal justice system then DOSA may be a good fit for you. Your case evaluation is free, call (425) 462-2081 and ask about DOSA.

Can a Marijuana conviction affect my ability to obtain student aid?

YES; a drug crime conviction can make in ineligible for student loans. Additionally, your eligibility might be suspended if the offense occurred while you were receiving federal student aid (grants, loans, or work-study). When you complete the FAFSA, you will be asked whether you have a drug conviction for an offense that occurred while you were receiving federal student aid.

If you are convicted of a drug-related offense after you submit the FAFSA, you might lose eligibility for federal student aid, and you might be liable for returning any financial aid you received during a period of ineligibility.


King County: Seattle, Bellevue, Kirkland, Redmond, Issaquah, Sammamish, Bothell, Duvall, Woodinville, Mercer Island, Newcastle, Kent, Renton, Federal Way, Auburn, SeaTac, Kenmore, Tukwila, and more.
Snohomish County: Everett, Lynnwood, Bothell, Edmonds, Snohomish, Monroe

John T Law
(425) 650-9888 (fax)
Mon: 09:00am - 09:00pm
Tue: 09:00am - 09:00pm
Wed: 09:00am - 09:00pm
Thu: 09:00am - 09:00pm
Fri: 09:00am - 09:00pm
Sat: 09:00am - 09:00pm
Sun: 09:00am - 09:00pm